Hydrotherapy for Dogs
A low-impact workout that helps increase muscle strength and endurance.
Our water treadmill is a great modality for any pet. It's filled with warm water to keep their muscles relaxed and comfortable. The water level varies with each patient. It will help your pet get a full range of motion that they may not get when walking, as well as improve their gait. The buoyancy will keep your pet from fully weight bearing, to help keep them comfortable, especially for post-op patients and arthritic pets. It is also great for resistance to gain strength, as well as balance and proprioception.
Using the natural properties of water (buoyancy, resistance and heat), the treadmill system creates a low-impact workout that helps dogs increase muscle strength and endurance, which allows them a quicker transition to land-based physical therapy.
Treatments are customized through variable water heights, which can accommodate different sized dogs and be adjusted for various weight bearing exercises.
Why hydrotherapy treatment benefits dogs:
- Warm water reduces pain and facilitates the healing process
- Older animals with joint problems can exercise effectively
- Improved circulation
- Restoration of mobility
- Strengthening of limbs
- Increased range of motion
- Improved coordination and function
- Variable water heights accommodate different sized dogs and allow for adjustable weight bearing
- Dogs can either swim at maximum water height or walk comfortably on the treadmill at lower water heights without experiencing panic
Call us today at (978) 256-9555 to learn more or schedule an appointment.